Days Gone By Week of Sept. 12, 2022


September 10, 1897

A farmer from the north part of the county dropped a silver dollar down a crack in the sidewalk in front of Cook’s Central Drug Store this afternoon, and it took two men and a crow bar working under the direction of a dozen “bosses” some time to extract the dollar. Last year a dollar looked so large to our farmers that a hole could not be found which was large enough to let one through, but times are changing and now a “cart wheel” goes through a common sized crack.


B. R. Brose, our leading furniture and carpet dealer, has been offering such wonderful bargains the last few months that his trade has so increased that his present quarters are too small to accommodate it. He now has a crew of men at work, however, building a large warehouse on the north side of his present building and this will be used for springs, mattresses, etc., thus greatly enlarging his facilities.


September 12, 1922

Fred A. Busse, who recently resigned as manager of the Geyerman store in this city , which position he had held for more than four years, has made arrangements to again engage in business in Pipestone, which will please his many fiends.

Mr. Busse has leased the room in the Orpheum Theatre building, formerly occupied by the Stevens and Reaney Land Co., and has things so nearly in readiness that today—Friday he hopes to open his new store. The name “The Busse Fashion Shop” has been chosen, and the stock will be composed of Ladies’ and Misses’ ready-to-wear.

The stock is now arriving for the new store, and it will consist of high grade and up-to-date merchandise.


September 11, 1947

A deal has been completed whereby Wesley Sedlacek and Elroy Stelling of this city have purchased the Log Cabin Klub from Mrs. Tillie Koopman and her son, Marvin Koopman. The new owners will take possession on Monday of this week.

They announce that they plan to do some remodeling at the Klub and will be open for business every evening. (Editor’s note: The Log Cabin Klub was located somewhere on the corner of 8th Ave. SE and Highway 30.)


Mrs. Kathryn Meyers of Palm Springs, Calif., daughter of Mrs. Pearl Meyers of this city, has arrived in Pipestone and taken over the local Jerdon store.  The store has been owned and operated by Mrs. Meyers and Mrs. Alice Beal. (Editor’s note: The Jerdon store was located along North Hiawatha in the area of the Ewert Re. Center parking lot.)


September 11, 1972

The highway #75 restaurant, formerly The King’s Inn, is about to be opened under the ownership of three long-time restaurateurs.

Brothers Bob and John Gannon and Bob’s brother-in-law, Howard Erickson, of Marshall are the new owners. It will be named Gannon’s Restaurant.

Changes planned for the Pipestone café include a 24-hour grill in the front part to provide fast service and convenience.

The large kitchen will handle banquets and large meetings. The bar area, formerly the Thunder’s Nest, will open provided the split liquor bill is  voted in. The bar will be open to the public and food will served in that area also.

The restaurant is scheduled to be open in about two weeks after minor remodeling is completed. (Editor’s note: Gannon’s Restaurant was located on Hwy. 75 where Anytime Fitness, Verizon and the Orthopedic Institute is located).


September 11, 1997

Earlier this week, the Pipestone County Star welcomed Craig DeFrance to its staff in the position of sports editor.

Not a stranger to this area, Craig served as a English teacher as well as a girls basketball and volleyball coach at nearby Russell-Tyler-Ruthton middle school in Russell from 1991-94. He has also been employed in the Windom Area school system, and most recently taught English and coached at Comfrey High School.

He gained his newspaper experience employment at both the Mobridge (S.D.) Tribune and the Grant County (Minn.) Herald in Elbow Lake — and also wrote local newspaper sports summaries about junior high teams that he was coaching at various schools.